For those of you less familiar with hashtags, here's a quick overview:
- What: Any term or phrase starting with a # (no spaces)
- Why: Discoverability; Tracking Content
- When: Every time you post (In the feed or to your story)
- Where: At the end of the caption or in a comment on the post
- How Many: No more than 30; usually 5-10 is best practice
Types of Hashtags:1. Branded Hashtags
- Your name or your company – #CraftingExposure
- Create & share the one you want people to use.
- Allows you to track content about your art business.
- Also a great way to collect user generated content (UGC).
- Commonly used for Instagram contests as well.
2. Descriptive Hashtags
- If someone couldn't see your image, how would you describe it?
- Subject Matter terms help people find art relevant to their interests.
- Medium keywords categorize your art by style and technique.
- Aim for not too board or too niche to be discoverable.
- Check usage numbers for the variations to pick best option.
- #OilPainting | #DogArt | #NatureInspired | #HandmadeJewelry
3. Location Hashtags
- Where was the image taken or the artwork made?
- Choose City, State or Country based on relevance.
- Can also be the place or event where art is shown.
- #AustinTexas | #BlueGenieArtBazaar | #FairMarket
4. Community Hashtags
- Designed to connect virtual communities around specific topics.
- Can be used for short term campaigns or longer term.
- May be associated with a challenge like #Inktober
- Can also be a prompt for what you're sharing – #MeettheMaker
5. Holiday Hashtags
- Is your post or artwork seasonally specific?
- Applies to both major or minor holidays.
- Think about what's trending or top of mind.
- #FourthofJuly | #NationalDogDay | #HolidaySale
6. Feature Hashtags
- Created by accounts that share other people's posts based on a topic.
- Usually how you submit your posts to be reposted. More details here.
- #Bnw_Greatshots | #ArtSanity | #PeoplesCreatives
7. Humorous Hashtags
- Phrases strung together for comedic effect.
- Not necessarily popular or ideal for discoverability.
- Can go viral & inspire similar shares.
The possibilities are limitless. Get creative with what applies to your posts. While you may have a set of 5-10 hashtags that you use for every post about your art, be sure to add customized ones based on what's unique about that visual so you can see what works. Instagram Business Profiles get insights on how many people find your content based on hashtags, so keep an eye on that. If you need help brainstorming, #IdLovetoHelp!