- How much does is cost to apply and participate?
- What is the likely size and makeup of the audience?
- Where is the event held? Indoor, outdoor, amenities?
- How many vendors will be there? What type of arts?
- Are you likely to make a profit or at least break even?
The goal is to help you prepare for success and know when to seek out a different show. Yes, there are going to be some you should avoid. Consider the following every time you're applying to a new event so you focus on only those that are best for your handmade business!
- Who is in charge of the event - organizers and sponsors?
- Have they put on this type of show before? How many times?
- What is the organizer's reputation in the art industry?
- What is their motivation in organizing this type of event?
- What fees are required to apply and participate?
- How much will it cost you to prepare enough inventory?
- What additional booth or display items will you need?
- How much do you need to sell to get back the costs?
- Will there be a commission on goods sold?
- Are you asked to donate to a silent auction or giveaway?
- How much attendee traffic can you expect?
- What type of people usually attend this event?
- Do you need to cater to a specific group or theme?
- Do your price points make sense for this audience?
- How many participants will there be at the event?
- Do the organizers prioritize legacy vendors or new?
- Does your art fit in or complement the usual selection?
- Will your art stand out enough to attract buyers?
- Where does the event take place?
- Is it the same place every time or a different one?
- Are there indoor or outdoor booth spaces available?
- What booth sizes do you have to choose from?
- How is the parking situation for vendors and shoppers?
- Is this a high traffic, easy to get to spot?
- Are there other activities and/or food at the event?
- How long is the event? A couple hours, a couple days?
- Are you prepared to man your booth the whole time?
- Do you have friends or family who can help?
- Is there another artist you can partner with to share?
- Will you have to miss out on other opportunities?
- Will the organizers provide access to electricity?
- Do they offer any setup items to help like booths or tables?
- What special display items will you need (i.e. extra lighting)?
- Does the show offer refreshments or support to vendors?
- What promotion will be done on your behalf to attract visitors?
- How much effort will you need to invest in spreading the word?
- If you don’t make a lot of sales, will this event at least provide leads?